People often use various medicines to treat their health issues, but unfortunately, the majority of these drugs cause severe side-effects.
Usually, medicines damage the kidneys, whose role is one of the most important for the overall health. Therefore, we list the top ten drugs which cause the greatest kidney damage, and you should try to avoid them at any cost.
Top ten drugs that lead to serious kidney damage:
– Analgesics, including acetaminophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID): ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, and others available only by prescription.
– Antibiotics, such as vancomycin, methicillin, ciprofloxacin, sulfonamides.
– High blood pressure drugs, including captopril (or Capoten).
– Antiviral drugs, such as indinavir and tenofovir, used to treat HIV, and acyclovir (brand name Zovirax) used for herpes infections.
– Chemotherapy drugs, like pamidronate, cisplatin, bevacizumab, carboplatin, mitomycin C, cyclosporine, quinine, interferons, tacrolimus, as well as anti-thyroid drugs, including propylthiouracil, which is used to treat an overactive thyroid.
– COX-2 inhibitors, such as celecoxib (brand name Celebrex). Rofecoxib (brand name Vioxx), and valdecoxib (brand name Bextra) are two drugs which belong to a special NSAID class and have been withdrawn from the market due to cardiovascular toxicity.
– Rheumatoid arthritis drugs, like infliximab (brand name Remicade), chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, used to treat systemic lupus erythematosus, malaria, and rheumatoid arthritis.
– Anticonvulsants, like trimethadione (brand name Tridione) and phenytoin (brand name Dilantin), used to treat various conditions, including seizures.
– Heartburn drugs of the proton pump inhibitor class, such as esomeprazole (brand names Nexium, Esotrex), pantoprazole (brand name Protonix), omeprazole (brand name Prilosec), lansoprazole (brand name Prevacid), and rabeprazole (brand names Rabecid, Aciphex).
– Lithium- used in the treatment of bipolar disorders.